Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Reporting Back

My word, it's been an age.

Much as I would have loved to keep posting in the interim between my last blog post and now, I really haven't been able to find the time.

I've started taking a lot more upon myself at eGamer now - in fact, let me just show you my schedule for the next two weeks or so outright:

Warhammer 40'000: Space Marine Preview - 7th September
One rather large preview I'm not discussing just yet - 12 September
One other rather large feature I'm not discussing just yet - 14 September
Column (The Necessity of Unity in Gaming [Working Title]) - 16 September
Might and Magic Heroes IV Preview - 23 September
Hard Reset Review - No deadline, but it releases 13 September

Despite the fact that I've got a metric ass-ton of writing ahead of me, I'm pretty excited for it. I'm really loving my time at eGamer so far. My editors are really awesome guys, who give me a lot of support, feedback and freedom and are genuinely interested in both what I have to say and seeing me develop as writer. I get a platform from which I can express my views, and, thanks to the nature of the competitions eGamer runs (the more you make worthwhile comments, the more likely you are to win), I get a lot of outside opinion and commentary on what I write. I really do love interacting with my readers, so hopefully that does nought but grow in the future.

As you can see on that schedule, though, I'm starting to do previews and reviews as well as just columns.

These are kind of a double-edged blade, though, as it seems like until I get a console I may well have to buy my own games to review, and otherwise stay largely to previews. According to my editor, getting review copies of PC games is about as easy as getting out of a cage containing twenty near-starved wolves alive, after you've been plastered in bacon fat and sheep blood.

Which is to say, pretty hard.

Hopefully contacting international suppliers yields different results, though, as Steam and other such services make it far, far easier to access games and give access to games. "I should do a post on Steam sometime," Duncan said to himself.

If I manage to find any left-over time after I get through all of my writing, though, I've been given the go-ahead to experiment with Let's Plays and Video Reviews, which I'm really excited to do. Hopefully I manage to lose that retarded voice I put on during the few Fallout 3 Let's Plays I did, though.

So, there's a brief and slightly all-over-the-place summary of what's been going in my gaming/writing life of late - hopefully when I get time I make a more cohesive, more awesome post detailing with significantly more detail and wit the awesomeness I've been lucky enough to find myself in.

Before I go, here are two slapped-on thoughts:

1) Most of you have probably already read my column from the link on Facebook, but those who haven't can find it by clicking here. I'm really amped by the response it got, there were a ridiculious amount of comments (something like forty, though about half of those were mine, admittedly), so hopefully I manage to keep delivering.

2) Warhammer 40'000: Space Marine is so kewl! I've got my preview of it publishing on eGamer tomorrow, so I'll make another post and link you guys there when it arrives. I've already pre-ordered my copy, just by the way.

In other news, please pray to the machine god (Warhammer 40k references for the win!) for my hard drive. The little guy is on the verge of crashing, which would really suck with Space Marine so close to releasing. I've got a disk repair doo-dad running at the moment, though, so hopefully that sorts things out.

Duncan
Out

2 comments: